Children are like sponges!
They soak up everything they hear, see and read.
As a parent, I believe it’s my job to speak the truth to my children, teach them diligently, and prepare them. In Galatians 5 it talks about the word of God being the ‘sword of the spirit’!. A sword is a powerful weapon – and we have chosen to teach our children how to use a sword! (the word of God)
I know the impact that scripture has on me and my life, that when I was able to have children, I was determined to:
– speak the word over my kids
– speak the word to my kids
– and help them know the word deep in their hearts!
You can’t go wrong with knowing God’s precious word, and using it as your sure foundation. It’s my job to try and do all I can to get His word in my children’s hearts. Knowing that Psalm 119 says….
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your law.
It’s been such a pleasure, that at certain times in my children’s lives, they have come to me and said “so in so was saying this, or so in so was doing that, and I knew it was wrong, so I chose to walk away.
That shows me that they remembered the word of God, and chose to obey it. YAY!! from the cheering section of parents!. Little victories like this (and I’m sure you’ve experienced them too) can affirm you as a parent that you are on the right track.
Here are a few simple ways to teach your children to memorize the word of God:
1) Sing with them. Children LOVE to sing! (and truth be told……so do I!) So, singing the word of God with my kids all the time is a joy, and so much fun. CD’s and YouTube videos are full of great memory songs like ‘The Rizers’. Here is an example
2) Put actions with the words. This is another fun way of doing it. Gather your children together, and have them put actions to each word of the verse. They will remember it more when they have helped create it. Then repeat it everyday.
3) Post the verses all over the house. The more they see it, the more they will remember it. Make it visible where your family is mostly at, example….. the dining area, your playroom, or the children’s mirror.
4) Memorize it with them. Help them and encourage them. Get excited about it and praise them when they’ve accomplished it.
Here are some recent verses we did…….
And remember, don’t give up! They will get it.
What are some ways YOU use to help kids remember scripture?