Ever feel challenged to do something that you don’t necessarily feel like doing?.
Maybe it’s talking with someone who you know needs some love, or cleaning out that hallway closet you’ve been putting off for months. OR ….. serving our spouse the way God intended us to. Meaning, serving them with the right attitude!
You may have picked up too many socks, put down too many toilet seats or have to re-organize that shelf again. But this is your spouse – the gift God gave you to be with.
All too often, I hear about wives and husbands complaining about their spouse, rather than getting their eyes off themselves, and serving them out of love. I’m not talking about turning into a maid, or a butler, but working together as a team to meet each others needs.
Romans 12 : 10, 11 reads ‘ Love each other with genuine affection,[a] and take delight in honoring each other.11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.’
We should be taking delight in our spouses and honoring them! Another version actually said “outdo one another”. Wow! this should give us something to think about.
So, I thought we could take a challenge! A ‘SERVE YOUR SPOUSE WITH JOY’ challenge!
Here are a few ideas:
- Do something nice for your spouse, when they are LEAST expecting it.
- Get up early one morning and make coffee and breakfast for them. It’s always better when someone else makes the food.
- Pick up those socks! ….. sometimes you’ve just gotta do what you need to do!
- Make time for your spouse, planning one on one times. Dates, walks or coffee on the porch are much needed for couples to connect.
- Make them their favorite meal or dessert. (For my husband, that’s extra meat and lots of chocolate!!)
- Listen to your spouse. It doesn’t take much, sometimes all you need to do is give your undivided attention!.
- Give them an extra hug, kiss or touch. Make your children blush!
- SMILE and enjoy your spouse
- ASK your spouse what ways you can serve him/her better. Whenever you are stuck, just ask.
Serving the one you love can be the most satisfying and rewarding thing you do. What ever way you serve your spouse, make sure it’s done with a joyful attitude.
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. Phil 2 : 3 – 4
What are some of the ways YOU serve your spouse?.