orking out has always been a big part of my life.
I fully enjoy it, and that’s the truth!
When my husband and I first got married, we spent the first two – three years being able to go to the gym several times a week. With no children at the time, that was so easy to do.
That seems like such a luxury now.
For many years now, of either being pregnant, nursing, homeschooling or serving, there hasn’t been much time (or money) for the gym!
Not being able to go to a gym though, didn’t really bother me at first. We live in Hamilton, which has beautiful escarpment stairs around the city, and I just decided to use them as a ‘free gym’ instead. But now that it’s winter, and I have four young ones by my side constantly, I needed to improvise.
Here are some things I do around my home that keeps me fit, and costs nothing! :
- During school break time, I work out with my kids! There are some neat 10-15 minute videos on youtube with parents and kids guiding you through a good workout. The kids love it, it’s fun, and it keeps me moving.
- While vacuuming, lift the canister in ways to work your biceps and triceps.
- While your making lunch or dinner, use the edge of your counter to do ‘standing push ups’. Do 3 sets of 15 in between cooking, stirring and plating.
- Have contests with your kids. Who can do the most jumping jacks, sit ups or squats.
- Have your children time you on your phone to see how many “burpees” you can do, or how long you can do some ‘planks’. Having the kids involved, and using a device, for some reason gets them excited.
- If you have stairs in your home, use them for your benefit! Either go up and down them 30 – 40 times, or use the bottom 2 steps fora stepping workout.
- Use your coffee table to work your triceps doing dips.
- If it’s nice outside, take the little one for a long walk/jog in the stroller.
- And of course, there are the good old home workout videos (Jillian Michaels is one of my favourites).
All of these ideas are great things you can do right in your own home, to keep fit and stay mentally and physically feeling great!. With all workouts though, make sure that you are using proper form and being careful.
Be creative – being a busy mom doesn’t have to take away from staying fit!